is much easier to do that with a pattern you don't have to fiddle with too
much. Why not a bog coat?
What is a Bog Coat
Somewhere in the Scandinavian
countries, they discovered a man's body in the Peat Bog. His clothing had
been preserved. They worked out that his coat had been constructed on the
simple principle of a rectangle.
As it was so easy, people
took the idea and began to make it up. Then Others who didn't like boring
clothing decided it would be fun to Embellish it in different ways.
The bog coat
I had heard about the "BOG" coat, and that people were using it
as a canvas...so to speak... for creating Art you can Wear. I found a
place on the web that described the basic construction of the Bog coat; BUT
it was a child's pattern. (If
you want...look here.) I played about with taking my measurements, and
Guessing the proportions. (Well, Samuel helped me.)
Then I had a go at
seeing if I was somewhat near right. The only thing is, I'm not too keen
in making up something only for fit...I mean what a waste of time, as you
don't wear it. So, I thought, "Well, it won't be that far off, so I
will make it interesting after all.
Here is my first
|Here are some awesome
photos of the humble bog coat given new life!
Linda Nelson Bryan
Okay it will take me a long time to get to this standard!
More Wearable Art
If you are interested in Wearable
art, this book looks good.
WEARABLES by Virginia Avery
|I had a piece of tan
corduroy that I got for £1 a metre. Just right for what I had measured.
After I cut it and sewed it, I chopped up a velvet skirt that was black
with autumnal colours that I had bought for about £2 at a charity shop. I
"fussy cut" some of the flowers and laid them into floral
arrangements. Then I used temporary spray adhesive to put them in place. I
zigzagged round each piece with black thread.
I also cut a fold over collar,
and cuffs. The cuffs bring the fullness of the sleeve in, which makes it
much more manageable. I saw this idea on a bog coat a friend of mine had
I really didn't like the fullness
at the bottom of the jacket, and will adjust the measurements somewhat
next time...or do something totally different!! However, this time I used
bits of the hem to make a band that I could use to pull the back in a bit
like darts or tucks. Then I used bits of the waistband to make the
closures at front. I had a store of buttons from my friend's mum. She
happened to have about 10 of these rust buttons that worked much better
than the black I had originally thought of. I only made button holes on
one side of the closures. The other end, and the ends of the band at the
back are just attached with sewing the button through all thicknesses.
After this photo was taken, I sewed down the tucks, as they flopped around
too much, and I didn't want to be forever adjusting them.